Nani & N



When the kid scores full marks on a Math Unit Test and does Hi-Fi with Mumma before rushing to call Nani n telling her the result - You know the bond is more than that of a Grandma n Granddaughter!

Last week, N told her Nani that she is kinda nervous about her Math unit test and Nani as usual very positively and graciously told her "Try hard and Give it your best shot! I know you Can Do It!" 👍

I thought the motivating words were falling the same way on N's ears as my words often do. But NO. 


While attempting the Test, she was nervous to Submit it not because she worked hard to get a good score... but because she promised Nani she will try to score the Best! 

So the jubilant N shrieked and woke her peacefully napping Daddy cos she did it! Scored full in Math and she couldn't believe it. 

But she had faith in her Nani's belief! She tried harder because Nani just said that once and said that with conviction! Unlike Mommy who keeps ranting positive and encouraging words all day long. But see the difference? Mommy's words are somewhere hid behind all the scolding and threats and shout-outs for sticking to a schedule so they tend to fade away in the subconscious mind! :-D

No. I am not at all complaining.. I am extremely happy! It took me almost 1 year, so much motivation, quite a bit of practice - some consistent and some not, and 1 wonderful Math teacher's help to get to the point where she is able to believe that She can actually enjoy Math! And score Great too!! So today is a Victory!!! Yayy🎉


I am extremely happy N's nani is as good a friend to her as she is mine n my sisters' :-) She will pick up the phone and call her on the home phone to talk and listen to her chatter for hours together instead of waiting for N to call. When I listen to this side of the conversation it almost seems that N is talking to a long term friend and not a person 5 decades older to her. N doesn't get patronized by Nani but is guided the right direction if getting swayed. Still at the end of the conversation N doesn't think she was getting any gyaan. "Nani was just telling me pyaar se..." She says! :-) 


The relationship is shaping up as much as give and take now! Nani was amused n curious about all the Coding N was doing and became N's 2nd student for her coding class. Believe me - Even if she didn't understand a 'C' about Coding - she showed up on time for the class as an enthusiastic student and let N give all Coding Gyaan till I had to drag her to do HW. When I asked why you never taught me - quirk came the reply - "You never asked if you wanted to learn!!!" 


This generation has a very different way of dealing with relationships and I am not the 1st person to share that with you, I know. I am just saying the more we welcome these changes with open arms, the more content our relationships will be! There was a time when N didn't want to talk to any extended family member over phone... It irked us as parents cos we know our parents waited for her phone call... But we let her be. I never imposed conversations and spending time with any grand parent be it in person or over phone call. And its bearing fruit. The lockdown boredom taught N to be more articulate in her phone calls with grand parents and reciprocate Nani's initiatives with more frequent calls during the week. 


All I will say is let them nurture their relationships amongst themselves.. take a seat back from your parental duties for a few minutes...and toast on having blessings of parents and children in your lives! :-)



Today I am just glad that she has this very strong bond with Nani and she will not only complain about my bad habits to her (of course justifying me sometimes) but also will open up and share her innermost thoughts about her friends, books, habits, feelings and more! 


Thanks Ma or rather N's Nani for being there for her today and forever!! :-) 💖💕


-Mom Reflections





Comments

Visitors

Flag Counter

Follow me on FB